Professor Bertrand LUDES
Academic and Professional Degrees
Professor of Legal Medicine at the Medical School of Strasbourg since 1996
Director of the Institut de Médecine Légale of Strasbourg since 1996
Title of Medical Doctor obtained on May, 28th 1985
PhD in molecular pharmacology obtained on December, 18th 1990 at the University Louis Pasteur in Strasbourg
Research Habilitation obtained at the same university on June, 29th 1993
Specialization as Forensic Pathologist on October 1988
Assistant professor at the Medical School of Strasbourg from 1991 to 1996
Current Professional Activities
Professor of Legal Medicine and director of the Institute of Legal Medicine of the University of Strasbourg.
Dean at the medical school of Strasbourg
Scientific Activities and Publications
In 1996, he became professor of legal Medicine in Strasbourg and developed major contribution into research into population origins in Mongolia and the early influence of the steppe tribes in the peopling of Siberia.
So he developed STR typing of ancient DNA extracted from hair shafts of Siberian mummies and performed the first successful assay of Y-SNP typing by Snapshot minisequencing on ancient DNA.
He showed how ancient DNA provides new insights into the history of south Siberian Kurgan people and studied Pigment phenotype and bio-geographical ancestry from ancient skeletal remains.
He developed also a new technique for diatom extraction from closed organs and their comparison with these in water samples, with a precise to an identification in order to prove the diagnosis of drowning.
He played a key role in the updating of this method and promotes the diatom analysis in the waterways.
- F-X. RICAUT, C. KEYSER TRAQUI, J. BOURGEOIS, E. CRUBEZY, B. LUDES
Genetic analysis of a Scytho-Siberian skeleton and its implications for ancient Central Asian migrations. Human Biology, 2004, 76, 109-125.
- C. KEYSERTRACQUI, B. LUDES
Methods for the study of ancient DNA. Methods in Molecular BiOology. 200, 297, 253-264.
- E. CRUBEZY, J.F. MAGNAVAL, H.P. FRANCFORT, B. LUDES, G. LARROUY.
Herodotus, the scythes and hookworm infection.
Lancet, 2006, 367: 1520.
- C. KEYSER-TRACQUI, E. CRUBEZY, H. PAMZSAV, T. VARGA, B. LUDES.
Population origins in Mongolia: genetic structure analysis of ancient and modem
Am. J. Phys. Anthropol., 2006, 13 : 272-281.
- S. AMORY, E. CRUBEZY, C. KEYSER, A.N. ALEKSEEV, B. LUDES.
Early influence ofthe steppe tribes in the peopling of Siberia.
Human Biol., 2006, 78 : 53 1-549.
- S. AMORY, C. KEYSER TRACQUI, E. CRUBEZY, B. LUDES
STR typing of ancient DNA extracted from hair shafis of Siberian mummies. Forensic Sciences, 2007, 166, 218-229.
- M. LACAN, C. THEVES, S. AMORY, C. KEYSER, E. CRUBEZY, J.P. SALLES, B. LUDES, N. TELMON
Detection of the Al 89G mtDNA heteroplasmic mutation in relation to age in
modem and ancient bones.
Int. J. Legal Med., 2008, 123, 161-167.
- C. BOUAKAZE, C. KEYSER, E. CRUBEZY, D. MONTAGNON, B. LUDES
Pigment phenotype and biogeographical ancestry from ancient skeletal remains inferences from multiplexed autosomal SNP analysis.
Int. J. Legal Med., 2009, 12, 3 15-325.
- C. KEYSER, C. BOUAKAZE, E. CRUBEZY, V.G. NIKOLAEV, D. MONTAGNON, T. RETS, B. LUDES
Ancient DNA provides new insights into the history of south Siberian Kurgan
Human Genetics 2009, 126, 395-4 10.
Main Fields of Research
Human DNA profiling (mitochondrial and chromosomal STRs, SNP technology)
Diatom research and analyses in drowning cases
Awards and Distinctions
- Member of the “Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher LEOPOLDINA » - Date of election: 25th November 2009 - Matricula number: 7309
- Doctor Honoris Causa of the Medical College of Kunming, PR China, 2003
- Professorem Honorificum Senatus of the University POPA, IASI, Roumania (27/04/2003)
- Honorary member of the Hungary Society for Legal Medicine
- Ehrenmitglied der deutsche Gesellschaft für Rechtsmedizin (23/09/2009)
- Price of cancerology of the French Society of Urology, (1989)
- Vice President of the French Society of Legal Medicine since 2006
- Vice President of the International Academy of Legal Medicine since 2006
- Member of the International Society for Forensic Genetics
- Member of the German Society for Legal Medicine
- Editor of the International Journal of Legal Medicine,
- Member of the Editorial board of the Forensic Science International : Genetics
- Member of the scientific advisory board of the Rechtsmedizin
- Member of the Publication Committee of the Journal of Forensic Medicine (in French)
Address : Institut de Médecine Légale, 11 rue Humann - 67085 STRASBOURG Cedex (France)
Phone : 00 33 03 68 85 33 43
Mobile : 00 06 09 17 66 89
Fax : 0033 03 68 85 33 62
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org